CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, May 02, 2023

Stability AI And DeviantArt Ask Court To Dismiss Artists’ Silly Lawsuit Against Generative Art

Techdirt: Earlier this year you may have heard that there were a few lawsuits filed over generative AI platforms, with two big cases targeting Stability AI, makers of Stable Diffusion, in particular. I’d been meaning to write about these cases, and why they’re so problematic, but things have been busy and I didn’t get a chance. Though, now, in the first case, filed by some artists, Stability has filed its motion to dismiss (and an anti-SLAPP motion) against the plaintiffs, and it highlights many of the points I would have raised in the article anyway. So let’s just dig into that.

1 comment:

Emily Carleton said...

I have heard of the discussion of AI generated artwork, but I did not realize that it also was happening in the music industry. I simply can not fathom people who believe that AI produced art is the same thing as true artists. Since it is apparent that AI generated work will be a part of the future, I believe it needs to come with some sort of disclaimer and adhere to copyright laws. People and companies should not be able to exploit artists’ work without consequence. I also listened to the sound clip of the generated Ariana Grande voice singing “kill bill” and it is terrible. As in, it sounds exactly like I imagine Siri or Alexa would sound like if programmed to sing. It is much easier to detect music that is created by AI, like the racist AI rapper, but as these programs are more refined, I suspect it may become much more difficult.