CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, November 09, 2016

Theatre can only survive if it’s eventful

ArtsHub Australia: Professional theatre has lost its sense of play and needs to escape the strictures of the subscription season according to Québécois director, playwright, film-maker and theatre-maker Robert Lepage. Speaking at the Wheeler Centre during a recent Melbourne Festival appearance, the multidisciplinary director of such works as The Seven Streams of the River Ota (1994), The Far Side of The Moon (2000) and 887 (2015) told ArtsHub’s Richard Watts that too much modern theatre spoon-fed the audience rather than challenging them.

1 comment:

Jake Poser said...

I think this article offers up a lot of good thoughts about moving the theater industry forward and away from "extinction." However, I also feel that the article offers no solutions. The author may believe that it is up to the theater-maker to figure that part out, however, I feel that if that is the goal then it is not strongly enough implied.
Keeping theater relevant is difficult. There are so many other forms of entertainment in the world that I sometimes even question, why this. But when I see a piece of theater, either good or bad, I am reminded that it is the human interaction between what is being presented and me that is most entertaining.
The beginning of the article tries to discredit theater as just entertainment. I disagree. I believe that sometimes entertainment is a good thing and can serve its purpose. However, I also believe that finding ways to make strong statements and push peoples minds further can be worked into an entertaining show.