CMU School of Drama


Friday, May 02, 2014

Are You Checking Work Email in Bed? At the Dinner Table? On Vacation?

Mother Jones: My airplane home from Boston is delayed for takeoff, so the woman next to me pulls out her phones to get some work done. Like many of us, she has two—an iPhone for her personal life and a BlackBerry paid for by her employer. "It's a dog leash," she jokes. "They yank on it and I respond. If somebody from work emails me on Friday at 10 p.m., they're pissed if I don't write back in five minutes." When I ask whether she ever just turns it off, she shakes her head in annoyance, as though I'd uttered something profane. "My team leader would kill me," she says.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This article really rings true with me because I see this everyday at CMU as well. The amount email sent to people on a daily basis is unbelievable! I wonder how much of the CMU stress could be reduced by reduced email? I mean everybody still has phones, people can TALK to each other instead. At the same time, CMU is not the same as an office, here people legitimately are probably doing way too much, while at corporations it usually is a reasonable amount of work with lots of distractions, or so it seems.