CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, May 06, 2020

Willing Change in a World of Many Crises

HowlRound Theatre Commons: What does it mean to talk about theatre, politics, and activism at a time when we all isolate our bodies from those of others? As I’m writing this, the rain is hammering on the window outside my house in southwestern Norway, all my travel plans to meetings and conventions cancelled for the forthcoming months. My mind, which I had thought would vibrate with energy and burning questions about activism and the performing arts, feels terrifyingly blank.

1 comment:

Alexa Janoschka said...

Norway is an interesting place. I loved getting a new perspective on their culture. I enjoyed the part about activism through reindeer skull art to protest unjust regulations against reindeer farmers. Reindeer are so foreign to Americans I think (and because they are used in stories like Santa Clause) that they take on this mythical ora and when you hear about people in Norway farming Reindeer it fascinates me, haha. There are some pretty cool artist in Norway that are taking action on various (very particular) important topics to their communities. It is interesting to see people continue their activism work, even with the continued coronavirus pandemic. It will be interesting to see what new problems surface as the world continues in this situation. I am sure there will be many new issues for activists to face and discover. There is always something that someone wants to change. I'm not saying that is always the best thing but it least it keeps people busy (not gonna lie some opinions are just opinions and the whole world doesn't need to have the same viewpoint.)