CMU School of Drama


Friday, February 03, 2017

The Detailed, Depressing Reason Deep Space Nine and Voyager May Never Get Full HD Versions

io9.gizmodo.com: Pretty much ever since the Blu-ray remasters for the original Star Trek series and The Next Generation were unveiled, fans have wondered when DS9 or Voyager would get a similar treatment. But according to Robert Meyer Burnett, who worked extensively on the HD re-releases those series, the odds of such a thing ever happening are incredibly low.

1 comment:

Julien Sat-Vollhardt said...

No matter what else is on netflix at the time, I feel safe in knowing that I will always be able to watch my go-to tv show Star Trek TNG, truly the best Star Trek series that has graced this earth. It is hard to admit to other start trek fans the fact that I have seen less than a season's worth of the original series. Despite that fact, I will insist, at the risk of sounding like a dweebazoid, that Picard is my captain, and that the Next Generation is the greatest incarnation of Star Trek. Concerning the conversion of the original Star Trek to an HD rescan of the original film, I am very excited for the release, again hopefully on Netflix, of these HD episodes. At the same time, I do think there is something to be said for the fuzziness that the NTSC format had, and which is lost in many of the newer HD shows and movies. The slight distortion and softening of features defined an entire era of television, and I believe worked in the favor of many tv shows, especially science fiction and fantasy genres. It lends an atmoshpere of otherworldlyness, it gives a certain margin of forgiveness for the special effects of the time, and most of all I think there is a big deal of nostalgia and remembrance. I used to watch tv on an old NTSC television, my childhood was spent watching the NTSC format. Now, at home, we have an HDTV, and everything is hooked up via HDMI, but I can still get a glimpse at that fuzziness when I watch an old show like TNG.