CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Student Crew, in Search for Fair Wages, Walks Off Movie About U.S. Constitution

Deadline: Tea Party activist Norm Novitsky’s In Search of Liberty, a crowdfunded feature film about the U.S. Constitution, has been shut down in Savannah, GA, after 30 members of his crew walked off the job. The group, made up mostly of students and recent graduates from the Savannah College of Art and Design, had been seeking union representation, living wages and reclassification as employees rather than independent contractors.

1 comment:

George said...

I am really glad to see IATSE stand up for students. When I first saw this article, I thought that it was going to be about students working on a show for their high school, so I think that IATSE getting involved in that would make things very different. I don't understand why producers and other creators have such a need to mistreat and underpay their workers. We may not be on camera but without us the camera can't be used. I think that people in our industry are considered less valuable which in reality is just not true. I mean we seem to work harder than actors and without us there is no show. I mean actors aren't paid well, but thats aside the point.