CMU School of Drama


Friday, May 08, 2020

Broadway unions raise concerns on health insurance, the return of theater

Broadway News: A coalition of entertainment unions held a call with members of the press Wednesday to highlight the similar issues plaguing their members while theater and film productions remain suspended.

Among the critical issues raised, Broadway union leaders spoke to the importance of continuing health coverage for their members, whether it be through federal subsidies, relaxed qualifications or through extended contributions from the Broadway League.

1 comment:

Sierra Young said...

I am glad that a lot of members of theatrical unions are being protected during this time. I was excited to read this article, because it seemed like it would have some solid information on when theaters will open up again, and that's not really what I got. In fact, a sentence in there that said theatre won't make a quick return at all was pretty sad. I cant wait for things to feel normal again, but I understand that everything is gonna be like this for a while. Since the beginning of all of this, I feel like a lot of people have felt like it would be easier to just wake up when this is all over. The other thing that is weird is that where I live so much stuff is getting eased, because we have very few cases, but places like new york are probably gonna need 10x as much time before being able to safely ease restrictions, since they were so in the middle of it all. Im gonna go ahead and say I will likely not be visiting Broadway in the next year or so.