CMU School of Drama


Thursday, February 09, 2017

Fade Play Review: Latina TV Writer On How Horrible TV is

New York Theater: “Fade” is a play about the bond that develops between a Mexican-born TV writer and a Mexican-American janitor at the studio. Its author, Tanya Saracho, is a Mexican-born TV writer/producer who has worked on the TV series “Devious Maids,” “Looking,” and “Girls” and is now co-producer of “How To Get Away with Murder” — as we learn in the full page bio of her, complete with photograph, that’s in the program from Primary Stages at the Cherry Lane, where the two-character play runs through March 5.

1 comment:

Vanessa Ramon said...

When I read the subject of this article, I was excited. The idea of even having a supporting Hispanic character is surprising to me but an entire play being about the Hispanic culture, WOW (A little sad? Yup.)! It is so interesting to think that this play is about the many dynamics and types of experiences Hispanic people live within. As a Hispanic lady, this is something that many people don't think about. I also think that the relevance of this play is indeed substantial and growing in importance the longer Trump is in office. Never in my life had I been anxious about my ethnicity until the day the Trump got elected. I love that this play reveals that. What the author says about how the play's message becomes a little to obvious in the end when the comparison of the world today with breaking into the TV business falls a little short. While I can agree that the writing of something can distract from the purpose of the play if not done well, this play to me still sounds like a success.