CMU School of Drama


Monday, January 23, 2017

Stage preview: 'Hedwig' tour high steps it into the Benedum Center

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Tony Award nominee Euan Morton auditioned for the lead of “Hedwig and the Angry Inch” with no experience walking in heels. Paul McGill was hired as the tour’s assistant choreographer. As a dancer, Mr. McGill’s first Broadway role, as a teenager out of Bellevue, was in “La Cage Aux Folles.” In heels.

Together, they are making it work in the “Hedwig” tour that stops at the Benedum Center Tuesday and Wednesday.

1 comment:

Evan Schild said...

Having seen this production on broadway I had different reactions both times. The first time I saw it, it was with Andrew Rannells as the lead. I did not like him as hedwig what so ever. Because of this I did not really enjoy the show. I saw it a second time with Darren Criss as the lead. He did an amazing job. I started to like the show. All of this was due to the actor performing the role of Hedwig. Since Darren is no longer in the show, they replaced him with Euan Morton. I am hoping to have time to see this show when it stops in pittsburgh to see how he is playing Hedwig. Also on broadway the theater was very intimate so you felt a personally connection to the actors. In Pittsburgh the theater is huge. Hopefully they can keep of that integrity of intimacy that was on broadway.