CMU School of Drama


Monday, April 22, 2019

Theatre of the Torontonians

HowlRound Theatre Commons: If you had asked me four years ago what the Toronto theatre community was like, I’d probably have looked at you blankly. Maybe I would have offered up something about Mirvish, the big commercial theatre company that brings Torontonians the Dear Evan Hansens and the Wickeds of the world, or mentioned the Stratford Festival and the Shaw Festival, even though you have to drive a couple hours outside of the city to get those major institutions.

1 comment:

GabeM said...

Toronto has always been a city that I was fascinated by. This fascination is really out of nowhere because I have never even visited Canada let alone Toronto. As a major city, however, I kind of assumed that the theatre industry in Toronto would be pretty prevalent so it was interesting to read that it is a relatively young industry. With all of that being said it is really encouraging that a city accepts theatre with open arms and over the span of around 50 years, Toronto’s live theatre industry has grown exponentially. Personally, working in America has never been a requirement, I have always loved traveling so going into an industry that allows me to travel is a very valuable experience. While I may not know, at this time, where my future will take me, the knowledge that major cities still have a growing theatrical industry is quite motivating.