CMU School of Drama


Friday, April 19, 2019

‘Book of Mormon’ is fun, filthy, albeit standard theater

Pittsburgh Current: This 2011 show is, on one level, about the inexorable – not to say relentless – optimism and good cheer so admired by members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Driving that point home book, music and lyrics writers Trey Parker, Robert Lopez and Matt Stone place two numbers back to back at the beginning “Hello” and “Two by Two” that are so high energy you’re exhausted before they’re over.

1 comment:

Kaylie C. said...

I really like Book of Mormon. I do think a lot of the humor is predictable, but it is fun and I also think that it does not just make fun of Mormanism for the hell of it. I think it employs a good message. I also think that the author sort of brings up a valid point when saying that any religion could be made fun of and Mormanism is no more or less ridiculous. That said, one listen to the song "I Believe" and you can see how Mormanism goes quite a lot further than other religions. I feel like the author glosses over how much this show parodies other Broadway musicals. "You and Me" is taken straight from Wicked, "I Believe" and "I Have Confidence" from The Sound of Music are super similar, among many others. I think it is a pretty important aspect of the show.