CMU School of Drama


Friday, August 03, 2018

30 Under 30: Ethan Hartman, Art Assistant/Set Designer

Live Design: Artist and designer, Ethan Hartman earned his B.F.A. in Scenic Design from the University of Oklahoma before receiving his Masters in Applied Design from the California Institute of the Arts. He has since worked in set design for theatre, film, and television, working for notable networks including Fox, Warner Bros., HBO, and Dreamworks. Currently working on back-lot designs for Blue Cloud Movie Ranch, Hartman is next on Live Design's 30 Under 30 list.

1 comment:

Raven Zhan said...

Every time I see the interviews of young designers I would think that maybe it can be me on that page in the future. Stories of young designers can easily inspire me every time; they also teach me a bunch of stuff with their own experience. I like to read the websites of those designers and learn the way they arrange their portfolio and resume. I examine the works as well, trying to get the sense of the artistic quality to be a relatively successful young designer. The more website I saw, the more I realize the importance of high-quality photos of not only the output but also the process. Besides, it is interesting to see that there are few designers who only work in a particular field. They all seem to have experience in TV, film, theater, and others. So I am wondering is it possible to survive just doing live theater? I hope there is, but there is also a wondrous world outside of the theater. I know there is not a certain way to success, but at least I can learn some useful thing from the people ahead of me.