CMU School of Drama


Thursday, March 22, 2018

The Last Jedi: Previs, Postvis and Techvis Explained

VFX Voice MagazineVFX Voice Magazine: By now, most people are likely familiar with the previs process for big visual effects films. Previs – and its related disciplines of postvis and techvis – helps directors, crew and actors imagine complex scenes months before they are filmed or before visual effects get started. And the process continues as production on the film goes on.

Here’s how previs, postvis and techvis from The Third Floor formed part of the making of Rian Johnson’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi, narrowing in on where it was used for the space battles and the action scenes on Crait.

2 comments:

Katie Pyzowski said...

This was a very informative article. I did not know anything about the previs, postvis, and techvis processes, and it is very interesting to see how this specific visual effects company took part in those three different phases. I figured that these three phases would all be connected, and then was surprised to read about the techvis process. I had never thought that a visual effect company would be the ones to set up how the shot would be set up with set pieces so that the artists could properly animate the effects necessary – but when you think about it makes much sense that way so that the visual effects artists can actually do their job without the composure of shot getting in the way. Also, it was really interesting reading about how Crait was created. I loved the salt planet when I saw it in the movie and it is so cool that the visual effects team created that little particle emitter with an additional effect that was filmed so that the spaceship animators could have the red dust spray up from the filmed salt flats.

Unknown said...

I always like to click on articles about movie special effects, especially Star Wars, as the film making magic of Star Wars amazed me as a kid and probably played a part in leading me to theater and entertainment as a dream job. It would be a real dream come true to some day work on these movies, or make new movies that can inspire the next generation of creators. So of course, I'll take any chance I can get to peer behind the curtain of these movies to see what really makes them tick. This article did a really good job explaining the process behind the digital visual effects of Star Wars, and I think it's really impressive how much painstaking work and skill it takes to reach the finished product. I personally am somewhat more inclined towards the handmade effects like miniatures and props, but maybe that's why I'm a theater guy... That said, I would still jump at the chance to work on a movie like Star Wars!!