CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Matt Mills, Other Designers Making Use of Follow-Me Remote System for Followspot Control

PLSN: Like many lighting designers, Matt Mills wanted to have more control over the follow-spots in his designs, and increased confidence in the consistency of their operation. Not happy with the varying levels of the follow-spots available at different venues, as well as with the inconsistency in experience of spot operators, Mills looked at the Follow-Me remote follow-spot control system. Finding it to be the solution he hoped, he has deployed it not only on his projects but made it available to his rental clients.

2 comments:

Rebecca Meckler said...

I found the other applications for this technology to be really interesting. It make sense why someone would want to put this technology in a corporate venue where there are limited options in regards to space or where labor costs would be too high to hire as many spot ops as desired. I wonder if the technology will transition into the architectural and art installation world because of it ability to run without an operator being seen. I could see an art installation where this technology is used to follow people as the enter and observe the installation. In addition, I wonder if this technology will ever become operator-less. It currently allows the operator to be a person out of site, but I can imagine that they are trying to make the camera follow without a person. It will be in interesting to see where this technology is in 10 years and if and how it was changed spot ops.

APJS said...

I have herd and seen several kinds of follow spot systems out there and it seem more are coming. Some of them get rid of the operator all to gather, and other appellation simple better assist spot operators in doing a better and more consistent job. I wish this article went a little into more detail on how this system worked and how it differs from other products like PRG’s ground system. I felt like the article and the designer being interviewed was really impressed with the follow-me software and that they highly recommend it to anyone who will listen. But I think the y dropped the ball on how it dose. They seem to only tell you what it can do, and in most sales events that sounds normal, but I think I need more information before I can be sold on a project that can do so much.