CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, February 20, 2018

2018 Western Pennsylvania Spring High School Musicals

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Spring starts in February and lasts into May when it comes to the season’s high school musicals in Western Pennsylvania.

In 2018, our high schools are offering a wide range of shows, from 1934’s “Anything Goes” to some of the latest musicals to hit Broadway. Baldwin High School, for example, continues its trend toward daring to be different with the region’s first production of Jason Robert Brown’s “Honeymoon in Vegas,” which debuted in New York in 2015.

1 comment:

Sydney Asselin said...

The year before my freshman year of high school, my high school did Anything Goes. Man, am I glad I missed Anything Goes. It is a relic of Theatre's racist past that should never be performed in this day and age. I am saddened to see that Anything Goes is still a popular choice among high schools today. Many "classic" plays and musicals are really racist and all it takes to tell is a cursory glance. The next shows I did in high school were Miss Saigon, Catch Me If You Can, and Jesus Christ Superstar, which got progressively less racist, but I know many schools still stick to the “classics,” because they are “tried and true,” but I wish students that had issues with the shows that they had to produce could speak their minds. Like the article about those kids who spoke out against the casting of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Those kids set an example for the current high school generation.