CMU School of Drama


Friday, November 17, 2017

Flying with Stantec

InPark Magazine : Stories have defined our world since the dawn of communication – in architecture, carefully-crafted stories based on themes and messages can help an independent brand engage guests and create a compelling and memorable experience. The intent of creating an entertaining venue begins with the opportunity to write well-defined storylines about what we want the visitor to know, feel and do. This process helps to establish the experience of place and how design has the capability to captivate an audience emotionally, retain their attention and create a compelling experience.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I could have predicted a lot of themes for a new park, but I can’t say any of my first guesses would have been aviation. I’m not nearly as well-versed on theme parks and themed entertainment, but I do have some initial suspensions about how successful The World of Aviation will be. Part of what makes Disney and Universal so successful is that they content and stories they use are constantly changing. You may have some new ideas for aviation over time, but I’m not quite sure how you would be able to introduce a brand-new concept, flying is flying (unless I’m missing something). Nonetheless, I would still be interested in visiting the park at least once just to see it. This article puts a heavy emphasis on what journey the guest will go on so I’d be curious to see how well that comes across. The renderings seem very cohesive, however the map only lists six key guest experiences, so I’m wondering just how long a guest would need to stay to get the full experience.

Kat Landry said...

This is really interesting. It clearly does not seem like the obvious choice for a theme park, but once you get past that, I think it has promise. Think of all of the children who want to be pilots (or simply have the ability to fly). Ben makes a good point about the number of attractions, but once they add in shows, street performances, shopping, and dining, I'm sure this could be a full-day park. My one issue with it is that it seems to be an amusement park acting like a theme park. There are different lands that hint at unique experiences, but the renderings show typical Six Flags-esque roller coasters and drop rides. I feel like if you are going to attempt to create an aviation park, you really have to commit to it. There is no way one of those lift-you-up-and-drop-you-down rides is going to feel in-theme with airplanes and flying.