CMU School of Drama


Thursday, October 19, 2017

The USA is taking on Japan in a giant robot duel you can watch next Tuesday

The Verge: We’ve been waiting a long time to see the “world’s first giant robot duel,” and next week we’ll finally get to watch the metal-on-metal action. If you’ve forgotten the background, all the way back in July 2015 a US team of engineers (MegaBots Inc.) challenged their Japanese rivals (Suidobashi Heavy Industry) to a fight, but the difficulty in finding a venue and upgrading the robots has delayed the bout. Well, next Tuesday, October 17th at 7PM PT, the duel will finally be streamed on Twitch for all to see.

1 comment:

Chris Calder said...

I love the suspense that is desperately trying to make this video have more “action”. My favorite part from the video is the moment when the driver put the “pedal to the metal” and when the camera pans out it reaches its max speed of 5 miles per hour. Don’t get me wrong what they have created here is very entertaining but I have a feeling it is not entertaining in the way they anticipated. To be completely honest I think watching something like this is much more entertaining than watching WWE.

I must say that I had some high expectations for this video, I was looking forward to seeing a real-life Iron Man. Maybe if they strap some jet packs on the back and added some turbochargers to those servos I would be more enthused. At the end of the day, this is a pretty cool concept and I will be curious to see where they take it.