CMU School of Drama


Monday, October 16, 2017

“I Won’t Be In On Monday” at Off the Wall Productions

The Pittsburgh Tatler: Anne Stockton’s new one-woman show I Won’t Be In On Monday, which is receiving its world premiere at Off the Wall, might best be described as a character study, albeit one that requires a little detective work to uncover. When we first meet Stockton’s character, Nikki, she presents herself as a competent and poised professional – well-dressed, articulate, and charming. But as the play progresses, we get clues that she is not fully what she seems, and by play’s end the person before us bears little resemblance to the woman we first met.

1 comment:

Peter Kelly said...

Stories are always better when they leave some information out. I am a huge fan of authors like Raymond Carver and directors like Christopher Nolan. I find myself more involved in a story when I’m trying to figure out what is happening and what the underlying meaning is in each moment. I like the fact that it is a one woman show and that she talks directly to the audience. I like this first off because it immediately makes you directly involved with what is happening on stage. And second off it gives the illusion that you should have more information than you do because it seems as though the audience is asking the questions. Even just reading this short article about the play makes me want to know what happens. Who stole the rings, and what else does Nikki have to hide? Hopefully I’ll get the chance to find out!