CMU School of Drama


Monday, September 18, 2017

‘The Scottsboro Boys’ shows what racial bias really looks like

New Pittsburgh Courier: How can a play based on a historic example of legal hypocrisy in the Jim Crow era be presented as vaudeville? As if the real-life atrocity of White supremacy and the possibility of lynching wasn’t horrific enough, who would have the temerity to present African American men in blackface?

The director of “The Scottsboro Boys,” the season opener at Pittsburgh Playhouse, doesn’t view it as a problem.

1 comment:

Truly Cates said...

I'm glad I'm a part of a community that contains people like this, who aren't afraid to be bold, express themselves, and make a statement on what's wrong in the world. I think I'd be worried if I was in an art school that didn't have people like Tome. I'm excited to see what else he does, and I'd be interested in experiencing the things he directs.