CMU School of Drama


Monday, September 18, 2017

SparkBlaster - The Non-pyrotechnic Spark Generator

LightSoundJournal.com: Spark generators are a great way of creating an extra dimension to any live event. However, they traditionally have lot’s of time consuming paper-work and health and safety concerns associated with them due to the heat generated. However, The new SparkBlaster indoor fountain machine creates a cold spark fountain from a special granulate, avoiding these problems. The sparks exit the SparkBlaster unit at a very low temperature, so this does not cause any fire hazard, unlike similar pyrotechnic effects.

1 comment:

BinhAn Nguyen said...

I am not exactly sure when the SparkBlaster came to be but I am very frustrated that it did not exist/ I did not know about it two years earlier. I was working as the assistant scenic designer and props master of our school's production of Into the Woods. My director wanted sparks to fly whenever the Witch threw beans on the floor and it was my job to find out if this was a possibility as we were a public school that had many safety regulations. After hours and hours of research, I found that the only thing that created a good enough effect was pyrotechnics. Unfortunately, this was against regulations and we had to make compromises to fulfill this vision. If a spark shooter like this existed at the time where it is low risk and easy to operate, we would've been able to create a truly magical show. I think it's so cool how accessible but still effective this is. Though I wonder if the article is overhyping this product. I hope not.