CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Courtney Hoffman Is Amblin's Pick to Direct 'Ruthless'

The Mary Sue: Talk of increasing the number of women who direct in Hollywood tends to focus on getting “new” women into the industry, and while that’s a worthwhile goal, studios and producers shouldn’t forget that there are mid-career women already working in the industry who would be capable directors. Which is why the story of how Courtney Hoffman got her feature film directing debut is so awesome.

1 comment:

Mary Emily Landers said...

I think the ability to float between different fields in the entertainment industry, though very difficult, is very important to know. I find the perspective of the article interesting because they say it can be very hard to transition between two different career paths for females in the industry while only highlighting the seemingly easy transition between costume designer and feature director of Courtney Hoffman. Personally, I believe Hoffman's background in costume design probably made her a better director and her newfound skills in directing made her a better designer. One of the reasons why I cherish the degree I am getting here at Carnegie Mellon so highly is because of the ability to learn in various aspects of theatre design before specializing in one concentration, which allows me the ability to learn topics in different fields that may be of use to me as I further my career.