CMU School of Drama


Thursday, July 20, 2017

Keep Your Project Secure with These CNC Workholding Techniques

makezine.com: Once upon a time, the movements of master machinists were measured, recorded, and stored on cards and paper tape. The stored numbers were used to control motors that moved mills, lathes, and other machines exactly the way the machinists had. This was referred to as numeric control (NC). After World War II, computers found their way into manufacturing and were used to control the machines, which is called computer numeric control (CNC). Broadly, computers controlling motors that move tools includes modern 3D printers, laser engravers, stencil cutters, and the target of this skill builder: CNC devices using routers (Figure A) or motor spindles.

1 comment:

DJ Lesh said...

This article grabbed my attention as woodworking and automation in machining in particular really interest me. At my school, we just recently got a CNC router, but I had worked with them before at a local maker space. As a user of CNCs, the problem of securing your material in place is huge. If your material shifts it completely ruins what you were trying to cut and can even lead to breaking the expensive router blade. While all of the options in the article can work, you can never rely on one option. I love using a vacuum table, but for larger, heavier, objects it normally is not strong enough. Clamps can often work, but can sometimes get in the way of your cut. I love the idea of using masking tape and super glue. I will keep that in mind as I CNC more and more.