CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Women at Work: Meet the Audio Engineer Who Moves to Her Own Beat

www.theroot.com: “Being a woman and a music producer and an engineer is a very special task,” says Ebonie Smith, who works as an audio engineer, music producer and studio coordinator at Atlantic Records.

While she’s always loved music, Smith says she got into audio engineering somewhat haphazardly. As an undergrad at Barnard College, Smith needed a way to record her own music. As a pianist, she often worked in isolation, but from that experience, her love for music and music production went from a hobby to a profession.

1 comment:

Alexa James-Cardenas said...

As I was watching the video/ reading the article, I just kept on being reminded of my mother. Before my mom had her current occupation, a speech pathologist working with mostly autistic children now, she was an audio engineer/mixer. Working at Larabee studios and famous artists like Stevie Wonder, and Prince (Oh, she could tell you some stories about Prince), the way she tells it, music and sound were her life, love, and constant uphill battle. The stories she tells me, her college life (that she was the only black female (one of two females) in the graduating class of her major), working from the bottom to the top, makes it sound like some surreal dream. And now having her as a mind-reference, I feel like I just took a quick peak at the world that my mom left a long time ago, and how the current females are holding up. As soon as I finished this article, I sent it to my mom, and I hope to hear back from her soon.