CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Stage preview: Brandon Uranowitz, from Broadway to the Trust Cabaret

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Brandon Uranowitz has starred in two of Broadway’s most heralded musicals in recent memory, but the “American in Paris” and “Falsettos” star still feels he is introducing himself to audiences.

He will be saying hello to Pittsburgh at 7:30 p.m. Monday in the Trust Cabaret solo showcase, replacing James Monroe Iglehart -- the Tony-winning genie of “Aladdin” who just signed on to a new role in a little musical, playing Lafayette/Jefferson in Broadway’s “Hamilton.”

2 comments:

Evan Schild said...

I love Brandon Uranowitz! He such a talented actor and can sing amazingly! Reading through the Q and A I had found it funny that he came to pittsburgh to audition for Carnegie Mellon and now he is back with his boyfriend who went to our school. Seeing Brandon in Falsettos was mind blowing. I had not seen his work before this show and he was one of the bests. My favorite part of the show was the cube and everything symbolized it. I love how he said that they thought of the cube as another character and not just some set piece. Seeing the actors interact with it at times kinda of brought me out of the story since it looked like there only mission was to move a certain part of it. But other times it was breathe taking what they were doing with the cube. I am so happy that Pittsburgh is so welcoming of theater artist and these cabaret are such an awesome idea!

Unknown said...

I saw Brandon Uranowitz in American in Paris right after the Tonys and I think he was the unspoken hero of the show. He underplayed his role in a way that contrasted the overacted, obnoxious actions of other characters and his downplaying made him shine. This was probably because he wasn’t plucked from ballet like the others. He has a very classical voice that brings a new edge to outdated material like Gershwin so this will be interesting to see. It’s interesting to see him describe himself as a comedic actor multiple times because from the shows I’ve seen him in, he seems to have a big range of roles he could play. Comedy was obviously his strength but he seemed versatile. I’m still kicking myself for not seeing the reboot of Falsettos. I think it brought a much needed recontextualized show back to the spot light and paved the way for more meaningful rethinkings to hit the broadway stages.