CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Regional Theater Review: ‘Night of the Iguana’ at A.R.T.

Variety: “The Night of the Iguana” is Tennessee Williams’ darkly tragicomic 1961 musing on humanity’s difficulties in hanging on to love, faith and grace, set on the eve of World War II when all three commodities were in short supply. Like his earlier “Camino Real,” the play carts a distinctive basket of disreputables to a backwater Mexican location and challenges them to talk and think their way out. Michael Wilson’s starry revival at American Repertory Theater in Cambridge, Mass., wobbles in the first half, but ends in triumph thanks largely to some of Williams’ best all-time writing, a superb turn by Amanda Plummer and a cameo-to-end-all-cameos from the great James Earl Jones.

1 comment:

Alex Talbot said...

I was planning on getting tickets to this when I went back home for spring break, and now I'm even more excited to see this. American Rep always does incredible stuff, and despite the small size of the theatre, some of their design work is truly amazing. I've seen photos from scenery renderings, and scenery alone seems like it is really well done. Overall, I've always been impressed with what American Rep produces. Waitress a few years back was phenomenal performance and design wise. While I wasn't able to see Great Comet when they produced it, or some of their earlier work that made it to Broadway, based on the renderings and photos I saw of the production, the scenery seemed incredibly well done and detail oriented. I hope I get to see this production, and I hope it lives up to expectations. I hope I can make it to more ART shows in the future, as well.