CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Meet VOLTA’s Costume Designer

www.cirquefascination.com: Watch renowned designer Zaldy talk about his creative process behind the VOLTA show costumes. VOLTA tells a spellbinding story about the freedom to choose and the thrill of blazing your own trail. Inspired in part by the adventurous spirit that fuels the culture of action sports, the show weaves the adrenaline rush of acrobatics into a visually striking world driven by a stirring melodic score.

1 comment:

Tahirah Agbamuche said...

Seeing cirque posts always brighten up my day a little! I am really excited for VOLTA as a show itself. It really feels like a show we need in this day and age. I really like Zaldy’s approach to design. It is so hands on and engaging which I love. It is interesting how inspiration can be drawn from working with the materials around you, it is kind of like letting the materials speak to you by letting your hands be the translator between material and mind. I can only imagine how difficult it is to design for such an active performance, because there are so many additional factors that need to be considered. I would like to know what the most important ones are, and how design elements are suggested and scrapped because of those key factors. I am really interested in Zaldy’s “Photo montaging.” I would definitely be interested in reading more about this his process and I am excited to see what he comes up with for Volta!