CMU School of Drama


Monday, February 27, 2017

Art of Motion Picture Costume Designs Draws Oscar-Nominated Frocks and Suits

Variety: Perhaps the only thing more spectacular than the costumes at the opening night of the 25th Art of Motion Picture Costume Design exhibition were the attendees, dressed to the nines in elaborate hats and intricate sequined cocktail dresses. The costumes on display at the exhibition, sectioned off into groups representative of the year’s most glamour-filled and best-designed films, mimicked the guests’ glad rags in style and flamboyance, expanding on their luxe extravagance and drama.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I adore costume exhibits. De Young Museum in San Francisco hosted a limited engagement Oscar De La Renta exhibit that I visited four times in the six weeks it was up because I was fascinated by the detail and manipulation of fabric that I had never seen before. Recently, UT Austin in my hometown acquired all costumes, renderings, and paperwork from the costumers of Mad Men. It is only open to researchers since it’s archival but I am actively trying to gain access to admire the level of precision in capturing each character. I wish there were more pictures in this article because I don’t have time to fly out to LA to see these even though I’m extremely tempted. I saw the Oscar winner, Fantastic Beasts, with a costume designer and we left the theater wowed by everything we saw. It would be interesting to see these pieces separate from the body and character they were on.