CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, January 25, 2017

What Do You Know? A Discovery of Prejudgment, Vocabulary, and Identity

HowlRound: It’s the beginning of my internship at The Theater Offensive and I feel confident, yet nervous as I trip up the mangled steps spray painted in bright yellow, “Watch Your Step” at the Dorchester Art Project building. From inside you can hear the sounds of the closed nail salon next door having a karaoke party with friends and family. I think to myself, “This is an unconventional place to have a performance, surely we could’ve found somewhere a little nicer.” Walking into the space I make out what I believe to be the set: two red rehearsal cubes with poles bolted to them, and a string connected to either pole holding white cloth down the center of the space. I clearly remember feeling a wave of relief come over me. I was so excited at the prospect of bringing what I had learned at my university to this group. I had spent my last three years attempting to make Broadway-level theatre and I was sure I could use my knowledge of design and directing to help this group out.

No comments: