CMU School of Drama


Monday, January 23, 2017

SAG-AFTRA National Board Approves Contract Proposal

Variety: SAG-AFTRA has taken a step toward the negotiating table, with its national board approving its contract proposal for a successor deal with the production companies.

The performers union, which reps about 160,000 members, did not disclose any details of the package or a date for starting negotiations with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers. The AMPTP had no immediate comment.

The current three-year SAG-AFTRA master contract expires on June 30 and covers well over $1 billion in annual earnings.

1 comment:

Kelly Simons said...

I’m glad to see a union contract renegotiation go somewhat smoothly. Granted, I don’t know all the facts of both sides of the arguments, but I’m glad to see that both parties looks like they’re about to come to a compromise. I don’t’ know what the current SAG-AFTRA contract is and why its members are renegotiating it. I wish the article had been a little more descriptive about what the contracts are actually about. It looks like this article was a follow up to a different article that I don’t think I read. The article states: “Saturday’s announcement came three weeks after the Directors Guild of America board endorsed a tentative deal on a three-year successor contract and sent that out to members for ratification. That deal, which included a major gain in streaming residuals, will go into effect on July 1 if approved.” Which I guess is a good thing. Again, I don’t really know anything about this contract.