CMU School of Drama


Thursday, January 26, 2017

Cinematographers’ Group ASC Moving Toward Equality, Award Recipient Says

Variety: Over three decades, the American Society of Cinematographers has given its coveted Presidents Award to a long list of distinguished artists, including Douglas Trumbull (“Blade Runner”), Albert Maysles (“Gimme Shelter”), Richard Edlund (“Star Wars” episodes IV, V, and VI), and Francis Kenny (“Justified”).

Never has the honor gone to a woman — until this year. On Feb. 4, at the 31st annual ASC Awards, DP Nancy Schreiber will take home the trophy. Indeed, Schreiber will become only the second woman to receive any ASC prize at all.

1 comment:

Sabrina Browne said...

This to me is the most important article posted in all of my (admittedly short) time making comments on this blog. FEMALE CINEMATOGRAPHERS AND DIRECTORS OF PHOTOGRAPHY EXIST PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE THEM. In eighty-some years not one woman has even been NOMINATED for an Oscar for best cinematography. The women of the cinematography world are out there and they are talented as all get out, it's time the get appreciated. The ASC has nominated VERY few women for any awards, much less their Presidents Award. As a student here it's hard (and perhaps even foolish) not to think about the future beyond CMU. The world of cinematography is one I want very much to be a part of, and this is very exiting for me as a young female wanting to be part of a male dominated industry. A quote from the article that really struck me was: "If this award does anything,” says Schreiber, “it will open some doors to the younger generation of women, to show that they can succeed, that they can work in all areas of the film and television industry.” I couldn't agree more, and I hope Schreiber is right. Someone asked me if I wanted to be the first female cinematographer to win an Oscar. I said no, because there are already so many out there that deserve to be the first more than I do. I hope to see the first one soon.