CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, November 16, 2016

What’s New in Vectorworks 2017

Architect Magazine | Software, BIM, Design Workflow, Computers, Vectorworks: Nearly 70 percent of the new features in Vectorworks 2017 came directly from user requests. (Many were previewed during the Vectorworks Design Summit, held earlier this year.) While some of the updates catch the BIM software, developed by Columbia, Md.–based Vectorworks, up to the capabilities of its competitors, others appear to be first of their kind. Likewise, the latest edition advances standard tools that reflect better how design teams work today, like the ability for project managers to assign users different roles for a shared building model. Below I review some of the new features in Vectorworks 2017.

2 comments:

Katherine Sharpless said...

Reading about the new elements of Vectorworks 2017 has made me so excited to download and use the new version. I'm so thankful for their free student version. This article was written with more of a focus on architecture but the new collaborative features of the 2017 version seemed perfect for theatre artists. Vectorworks listened to their consumers and enhanced their Project Sharing, adding clearance levels for editors and tags on what has already been reviewed. I think this element if refined even further can make Vectorworks more widely used by all types of designers because of how easy it is for a group to review. The compatibility to other softwares and integration with Cinema 4D improves its accessibility as well. But as always this version will have flaws or eventually become out of date, but Vectorworks' model of listening to its users for improvements will drive its success.

Unknown said...

Vectorworks is getting pretty good at a lot of things nowadays. I have actually started shifting away from it as my go to program but only because I am finding that I can no longer do all that I want to do in one program anymore. Maya and Rhino have both recently been incorporated into my everyday workflow. This summer however I used almost exclusively Vectorworks. If that experience taught me anything it is that if you want to learn a program really well all you have to do is get a desk job and tinker with it for a few months. The problem I am having at school is that I rarely actually get a reason to sit down and really model out the details of an object. This is how I actually understand a program and I’m left with a rather surface understanding of how to operate that program.