CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, October 19, 2016

The Religious Nature of Theatre, the Theatrical Nature of Religion

HowlRound: From the time I could speak, I’ve been involved in theatre. From acting in local productions to studying directing at Smith College, I’ve passionately thrown myself into a life centered on the stage. My other lifelong passion is the study of religion. As an ethnically Jewish woman who has chosen to worship with a number of Christian communities, I’ve learned to appreciate the incredible beauty of religious diversity and recognize religion’s unique ability to create community and inspire change. I am often asked which field I’ll ultimately pursue, and many are surprised to hear that I don’t plan to choose between religion and theatre. My two passions are often viewed as completely divergent fields; however, I see theatre and religion as inherently connected endeavors. By examining the religious nature of theatre and the theatrical nature of religion, I believe that we may enrich both disciplines.

1 comment:

Jamie Phanekham said...

I totally agree with this article. In a way religion and theater are similar in joining people together to feel at the same time, and be moved in a way that people who haven't gathered can't be. Theater doesn't necessarily have to have religious themes for people to be "taken to church." Religion and theater have so much in common in terms of the nature of how they are presented. They can move people in equal ways through performance and song. I don't think religious theater really holds much creed since it seems preachy. However, in the same way church can, theater about important topics to teach and impact people influence people's opinions. I also feel the same way the author does, since I both am fascinated with religion and theater, and I'm realizing its probably for similar reasons. Intertwining both, when on religious topics is always impactful when done right.