CMU School of Drama


Sunday, October 30, 2016

NFTRW Weekly Top Five

Here are the top five comment generating posts of the past week:

How To Successfully Respond To A Question You Really Don't Want To Answer

Fast Company | Business + Innovation: If you watched the presidential debates, you may have come to the conclusion that answering questions is optional. If you don’t want to provide an answer, simply insert your own topic and carry on.

When you’re at work and your client or boss asks a question, however, it’s not always smart to change the subject and promote your own agenda. Questions need to be addressed.

Why I Left My Dream Job at Second City

Chicago magazine | Arts & Culture October 2016: Just let it go, do not engage him. He cannot hurt you.

That’s what I kept telling myself as I stumbled backstage. I had less than 3 minutes to change into my costume for the next scene. A cretin in the audience had just spewed racist rhetoric, and now I had to dress in full drag and wax poetic about gender fluidity and the dangers of privilege. Lucky me.

The Cubs Stay Alive, Creating a Dilemma for Some Hamilton Fans

Chicago magazine | Politics & City Life October 2016: As the seconds counted down to 10 a.m. on June 21, Karen Woo was at her computer with multiple Web browsers open. Finally the floodgates opened, and a few minutes later she had her quarry: balcony tickets to Hamilton for a Saturday late in October.

She’d already seen the hot musical once, in New York, and ever since has had the soundtrack on steady rotation.

But a funny thing happened on the way to the PrivateBank Theatre: the Cubs made the playoffs, and they now have a chance to clinch a trip to the World Series on the same night Woo was hoping to see Hamilton.

Theatre Masks: An Exploration

Breaking Character: My first experience with masks was in the summer of 1979. I was 15 and attending a summer conference on clowning at Oberlin College. On my way to my room, I walked through a lounge in which Avner Eisenberg was giving a talk on neutral mask and sat down to listen. Avner spoke of the mask having universal qualities and what it revealed to the actor. He put it on, stood for moment in a stillness that created a deafening silence and then slightly turned his head.

7 Deadly Sins of Project Management You Should Never Commit

DZone Agile: Everyone makes mistakes, and Project Managers are no exceptions. With so many things to take care of, a Project Manager can sometimes get off track and this leaves a huge dent on a project’s progress. Even with a project management software at their disposal, most projects tend to exceed the allocated time and budget and are shelved or abandoned.

No comments: