CMU School of Drama


Friday, August 26, 2016

Hands-On the Shaper Origin: A Tool That Changes How We Build

Hackaday: I bet the hand saw really changed some things. One day you’re hacking away at a log with an ax. It’s sweaty, awful work, and the results are never what you’d expect. The next day the clever new apprentice down at the blacksmith’s shop is demoing his beta of his new Saw invention and looking for testers, investors, and a girlfriend. From that day onward the work is never the same again. It’s not an incremental change, it’s a change. Pure and simple.

This is one of those moments. The world of tools is seeing a new change, and I think this is the first of many tools that will change the way we build.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm extremely glad that this article was added to the blog! As a maker, artist, carpenter, and designer, I actually got to see this tool for myself at the New York City Maker Faire a couple years ago. It's an amazing tool that takes the ordinary router we've had for decades and puts a "brain" on it through a computer. This completely changes the tool. Instead of having to master it in order to free hand designs or making a jig to create accurate cuts, the computer adjusts itself in order to follow the pattern exactly and you only have to follow it roughly. This sort of technology is the future of woodworking and the future of a dozen other industries that use power tools.

Kat Landry said...

This. Is. So. Cool. Let me first state that I have never-in my three years at this university- commented on a tool article. But I think this is absolutely amazing! What an awesome use of AR technology. I watched the video before reading the article, and I was all, "Is it a router? Is it a laser cutter? Is it a saw? What the hell is this thing?" and then I got excited by the idea of a cocktail machine and lost focus for a moment. But then I read the article and forgot all about cocktails, because this is quite the impressive tool. I imagine there will be all kinds of technical difficulties when it comes to laying the tape/getting the right response, but the pure convenience of the tool's library, its mobility, and its guidance is very, very appealing to me. I tend to have a very set idea of what I want things to look like, but am not as adept at making it happen (which is why I like laser cutters). I bet this is going to be both a learning curve and an efficiency blessing for the theatre community as it becomes more prevalent in the coming years.