CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, August 23, 2016

A Dancer and an Illustrator Compare Creative Energies

The Creators Project: The daily life of an urban artist is an exercise in maintaining inspiration and balance. Jules Bakshi is a modern dancer, choreographer, and wellness professional who encourages empowerment and body positivity through her dance and fitness classes. Bakshi’s work is movement and vitality. Alelli Tanghal is a painter, illustrator, and art director at Doubleday & Cartwright, a creative agency with several clients in the world of professional sports. Tanghal’s work is to interpret movement and athleticism. The two New York-based artists met on the Vice rooftop to discuss creative movement, finding equilibrium between the personal and the professional, and the genesis of collaboration.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I could be as vivid with my words as these two amazing women. After reading this article I feel like I am more in tune with exactly how they process inspiration and thought. I feel like one of my biggest issues is finding a weak inspiration, creating a piece and then thinking of strong emotional reasons for why I created that piece. I wish I could put the emotion before the work like these artists do. When referring to creating a dance piece the dancer knew of a deep emotional idea well before she choreographed the piece. It makes me question how she can do this in this order. Does it make my work weaker when the emotion comes post-construction? Overall I learned the importance of utilizing inspiration around you and that speaks to you emotionally no matter the timing of said inspiration.

Unknown said...

When I first opened this article, I expected quite a bit of left brain/right brain discussion, so I'm impressed that the discussion is pointed more towards the different creative energies surrounding different varieties of artists. I can't necessarily agree with the discussions about the female form, as I am a man, but I can understand how being a woman can be clear source of inspiration, a reason to rise above. Bakshi's second job as a wellness coordinator is also a cool way to balance knowledge and art, since art is always easiest when you are functioning at top shape. The personal/work life balance is one that everyone needs to balance, but I agree that alone time to create and just exist in your head is one of the most important parts of the artistic process, at least for me. I also enjoyed reading about their different processes, and how they get started in the act of making. Oftentimes, the hardest thing someone can do is get started on an art project, so I think discovering a ritual to help begin the art of making can be a potentially useful resource.