CMU School of Drama


Sunday, July 17, 2016

The Monologue Parity Project: How and Why I Decided to Tackle the Issue of Parity in Modern Theatre

HowlRound: I distinctly remember the experience of searching for my first monologue. I was fourteen and a freshman in high school, desperately looking for the first solo piece I would ever perform. It had to be perfect and truly me—an exciting hunt that triggered the familiar palm-tingling sensation I experienced whenever I had the distinct feeling of possibility. I call it my sixth sense for the theatrical world. My palms start to tingle whenever I see the curtain rise on a new play, and I know it’s a good one if they still tingle after it ends.

1 comment:

Coco Huang said...

This Monologue Parity Project really captured my eyes. At first I resonated with the author on her difficulty trying to find a proper monologue in high school, for though I'm not an actor, I need to face the same challenge of representing myself in many other cases; and I've definitely experienced that kind of tingle of my palm when there's something just right. However, that moment doesn't happen that often. Each one of us is unique, this is not just a cliche saying, but a truth that makes us proud of ourselves, confused for our identity, and sad for the loneliness that we are doomed to suffer from time to time. Nevertheless, just as unbelievably as we are each different, we also share so many similarity with others in this world, and there are so many coincidence and inspiration in this word that would save us from the blackhole of ourselves. Knowing that there're people as confused as us, people who are more or less fortunate than us, and people who are the same fighters as us can give us power, and find us a place in this world. I think this is that this project, if it can develop into a full scale, can bring to people. This is really powerful. There are so many fighters in this world, for equality between gender, race, sexual orientation...or simply for finding themselves. These fighters should unite together into a stronger force.