CMU School of Drama


Thursday, July 21, 2016

The Conjuring 2: Costume Q&A with Kristin Burke

Clothes on Film: It was late November, 2016 when I visited the set of The Conjuring 2 (directed by James Wan). The reason I never wrote about it for Clothes on Film or anywhere else was because of my official role on the day: I was playing an extra (or background artist if you like) during the film’s Maida Vale pub scene. Specifically this is the moment when real life husband and wife paranormal investigator team, Lorraine (Vera Farmiga) and Ed Warren (Patrick Wilson) meet with noted experts in their field to discuss the validity of their current case, aka the Enfield poltergeist. I made the finished cut, by the skin of my teeth I imagine. If you are so inclined, look out for a lightly moustachioed fella with curly hair sitting at the bar. Yes, that’s me. Costume point of note: I was wearing my own vintage Levi jeans, seventies leather jacket and two-tone stack heel shoes. So my everyday look, really.

1 comment:

TroyFuze said...

Working on the costumes for a film like this seems fascinating considering the large amount of photos, from not only the time period but the exact people, there were. Ms. Burke was faced with the challenge of establishing the fine line between historical accuracy and matching the mood of the movie. In a horror movie with as many special effects as the Conjuring, costume design can become particularly tricky. One thing that really stuck out about this movie to me was the costumes especially when the credits rolled and the original photos of the people involved were shown, the contrast between the two was astonishing because it was so minimalistic but it said so much through the context of the movie.