CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Pushkin and Chekhov stagings to be shown in U.S. and Canada cinemas

Russia Beyond The Headlines: Productions of Moscow's leading theaters will be shown in cinemas all over the U.S. and Canada beginning in September 2016. The series, which will include eight productions, will run until June 2017. Two iconic plays – Vakhtangov Theater’s Eugene Onegin and the Moscow Art Theater's Cherry Orchard – have been selected as the first performances to be screened as part of the Stage Russia HD project.

1 comment:

TroyFuze said...

As someone who grew up reading these plays it always astounded me how little the average american knows about Russian theater. It astounds me that Chekhov's last play is something that my friends had never even heard of. Earlier this year I saw a production of The Cherry Orchard done at the Brooklyn Academy of Music, and even though the production was done with english subtitles above the stage, the turnout was almost 100% Russian. That troubles me dearly because the themes expressed in The Cherry Orchard are issues of socio-economic class, and they matter here in the U.S on a huge scale right now. That play also had a huge personal effect on me because my realization that I needed to use some of the subtitles to comprehend the play made me dedicate myself to refining my Russian.