CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Lighting Designer Reflects: Part 1 of 2

www.wengercorp.com: “I think the performing arts should move the audience to think differently or see the world in a different way,” says lighting designer Robert Wierzel, who has achieved acclaim for his work in theatre, dance, opera, music and museums. “Art should express the times in which it was created.” He believes the performing arts are unlike a painting, sculpture, or even today’s video arts, which represent a moment in time, whether 300 years ago or last week.

1 comment:

Olivia Hockley-Rodes said...

It's interesting to see where professional lighting designers start out. Sometimes I worry that I started out late in the process, or that I'm behind where I should be because of the lack of funding and resources at my high school, but it's comforting to know that someone else had very little exposure and ended up accepted to Yale's drama program and create a very successful career. It makes me feel safer, knowing whatever happens is possible to come back from. This article does make me more inclined to look for internships at my local theaters, because i know there's a threshold of how much I can get from my high school theater program and the professional world can push my limits. It also makes me wonder what experience I will look back on and think about as a formative event in my career as an artist. If I end up doing this for a living, what crazy stories are things I might be telling my colleagues in 20 years as a memorable first theater experience?