CMU School of Drama


Wednesday, June 01, 2016

WOW Café Theatre: Celebrating the Beginnings of a Historic Women’s Theatre

HowlRound: During dinner with a writer friend, I told her about the launch/party/performance I’d attended on February 29 for the book Memories of the Revolution: the First Ten Years of the WOW Café Theater (edited by Holly Hughes, Carmelita Tropicana, and Jill Dolan, published by University of Michigan Press, 2015). My friend knew of WOW and said, “You know before that I used to go see stuff at Medusa’s Revenge. They were a lesbian theatre in the ’70s.” It made me happy to know there’d been another theatre in New York City that gave women a place to work and find their voices, and push their way into the art form that often didn’t have room for them, or wanted to keep them in a specific role.

No comments: