CMU School of Drama


Monday, June 27, 2016

No One Right Way

Popular Woodworking Magazine: I know I’ve been lucky as I’ve learned to work wood during the past eight years. When I started at Popular Woodworking Magazine in 2005, I had little woodworking experience (writing, editing and project-management expertise were the job requirements, not shop skills). But I was intrigued by the machinery and awed by the work that Christopher Schwarz, Robert W. Lang and, a few months later, Glen D. Huey were turning out – not to mention the drool-worthy work produced by our many expert contributors. It was made far better than anything I could buy at a store and it looked a lot nicer to boot.

1 comment:

Emma Patterson said...

I found this article very supportive of the idea that learning never stops. As long as you make an effort, there are always ways to continue your education in new ways or to pick up entirely new skills. I also appreciate that the article spoke to the fact that it is okay to feel comfortable in your own way of doing things, but you should always be open to learning new methods and absorbing information from more that just one source. There are absolutely ways to do things incorrectly, but it is up to the person working the craft what their “right” way is. It also shows how different art is always evolving, as people continue to experiment with different combinations of techniques and tools to reach the final result. I also like how Fitzpatrick emphasized that there is no limit to asking questions, and we should allow our curiosity to guide us towards different experiences and hobbies.