CMU School of Drama


Monday, May 30, 2016

Stars Reflect on Arts Education Programs That Shaped Their Success

Playbill: Corey Mitchell has a Tony honor unlike any other. No, it’s not a medallion, as was the prize in the early days of the awards—such as the ones Ethel Merman and Mary Martin received. Neither is it the modern Tony trophy with the medallion on top, which is how the award was redesigned in 1967. It’s not what Idina Menzel, Julie Taymor and dozens of others have taken home for the past 48 years.

1 comment:

Rachel_precollegetech said...

Theater education is so important. It is usually an educator that sparks the love for theater. My love for theater started by me being mesmerized by a show that I saw on stage and then begging my parents if I could do theater. I had to wait a year until I was old enough to audition for a show at my local community theater, but as soon as I was old enough I was at the first audition I could get. I started as a performer, but then in seventh grade I found my love for tech when my director pushed me in that direction. Without the push from my director in the direction of tech I would have never found my passion. The people that teach you are so important. They fill you up with knowledge and passion for what you love. Every actor and technician and designer has to start somewhere, they start by learning from someone who fills them with knowledge and love for their craft. Without these educators and role models we would never have so many amazing designers, technicians and performers. In some ways we owe our educators all the credit for what theater is today, because without them where would we be. And we owe the future of theater to them because they are the ones who will be educating the future generation.