CMU School of Drama


Thursday, April 28, 2016

Skilsaw’s Worm Drive Table Saw

Tools of the Trade: I’ve been using the new Skilsaw model SPT70WT-22 table saw for a month or so and overall it fit my expectations of a job site saw built for framing and rough carpentry. It didn’t quite make the cut for finer woodworking uses like glue-line rips and joinery, but Skil’s framing heritage endows this saw with more of an “outside dog” pedigree anyway. With it’s worm drive motor, it’s more at home with its feet planted in the dirt and sawdust of the job site than on a concrete floor.

1 comment:

Daniel S said...

I have used a worm drive circular saw for years and I love it. This is the first that I’ve heard of a worm drive table saw. Though, before getting into the saw I’m glad that the author cleared up the Skil vs. Skilsaw question that I had, and I bet a lot of other people too. I’m not a fan of jobsite/compact table saws in general. If I were forced to buy one, I’m not sure which one I’d buy. In this case, the Skilsaw seems like it would be an appropriate choice for scenery, depending on the project. With the riving knife on the table saw in the scene shop being broken for so long, I realized how comfortable I am using the table saw when all the safety measures and guards are there. In the case of this saw, it seems like it would drive me crazy having a lot of the components of the guard be difficult to adjust or use while the saw was in use. The fact that the saw can cut 25” is great and the push stick that comes with it is a great idea as well. These are really the only features that stick out to me as being something I’d look for in this type of saw, aside from the guard assembly.