CMU School of Drama


Friday, April 22, 2016

Primed For The WILD PARTY! Learn How To Use CrystalGel As A Primer

Rosco Spectrum: As a scenic designer, scenic artist, and educator, I am always looking for ways to challenge the students and introduce them to new materials on a budget. My design for Western Illinois University’s WILD PARTY was conceived on the idea of a skewed reality influenced by German Expressionism and Art Deco. One skill that the students in the shop needed to learn was how to work with steel. This choice was an economical option for Western Illinois University as well as a pedagogical choice.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This article make is seem as if crystal gel is a complete package when it comes to priming. There aren’t many one size fits all situations in paints but it seems like this could be one of those rare occasions where it could work that way. In particular though the ability to prime metal in an easy and safe way is something that we struggle with a little bit in theatre. I would love to get my hands on some crystal gel to try it out for myself and see just how flexible it can be. The author mentioned it could be carved as well as used as a primer so that too could be very interesting to explore.

Daniel S said...

I love CrystalGel. It is one of my favorite scenic coatings to use. I have used it on everything from road cases to fake rocks. I have never used it on metal, but I’m glad to hear that it works well. One summer, I was working for an outdoor theater and we were looking for a clear coating for metal that would help prevent raw steel from rusting. We ended up using a Kilz spray that didn’t work very well. I would be interested to know if the CrystelGel would help the actual metal from rusting. I actually shared this article with a friend of mine who is a fan of CrystalGel. Whenever I need to add texture to something, CrystalGel is typically my go to product because I can add pigment or a texture element right to the product. Often times this ends up being sand. CrystelGel is a great product and I would tell anyone who has never used it to try it.