CMU School of Drama


Friday, April 29, 2016

Meet the Self-Described "Sign Geeks" Keeping Neon Alive

The Creators Project: No matter what era you were born into, the alluring warmth and flickering glow of vintage neon signage is undeniable. Our attraction to these bent and illuminated glass tubes is due, perhaps, to an appreciation for a craft that seems inaccessible to most—they're science meets design meets applied urbanism. While the existence of classic neon signs is slowly disappearing, self-described "sign geeks," with the intent to document and share these beautifully crafted pieces of art, are keeping the glow alive.

2 comments:

meeshL said...

I think what this article touches upon about how neon is the most inaccessible art form to the public is a very true statement. For many of us, the most exposure we have seen with neon signage have been in either our old Hollywood movies or the dingy, flicker of a store front. Neon has a special ethereal quality that I can't quite put my finger on-- you get a glimpse into what people's last interactions with the older world was instead of the reinstated fashionable neon signs we see more or today. In regard to that neon sign graveyard, my best friend was actually at that museum a few weeks back. She sent me many photos of her adventure there and I was in shock and awe of how many signs there were and exactly how cool they looked. I imagine one day I'll be lucky enough to pay a visit to such a wonderful museum!

Madeleine Wester said...

When I was in highschool I had set up an appointment with my dad's friend who was going to teach me how to create neon tubing and signage. In the end, I never got to meet my dad's friend and I was never taught how to make neon signs! Honestly, I really regret that since this article sparked my interest! Neon art and neon signage is hardly used anymore and is becoming more and more unpopular. The usage of LED screens and such is cool, and I think they're probably more efficient and environmentally friendly, but their use causes the amount of neon art to decrease. Personally, I think that it would be very cool to have a Neon Art/Signage class. Maybe if neon art was taught in schools, we would see more of it commercially. It is always sad when an artform gets pushed out by another artform, a technological advancement, or otherwise. Hopefully, we can see neon art being continued by artists such as the #SignGeeks and it will stay alive.