CMU School of Drama


Tuesday, March 29, 2016

What Were They Thinking: On the Road Again

clevelandjewishnews.com:Being an actor in a national tour of a Broadway show is quite a gig and not just because it is work in an industry with 59% unemployment. A tour means a regular paycheck for a guaranteed time, which is more than a Broadway engagement can promise. An Actors’ Equity Association (AEA) tour means a bigger production budget, a bigger paycheck, and better travel accommodations than a non-Equity tour. And touring in a bona fide Broadway hit fills houses.

1 comment:

Evan Schild said...

Touring is something I defiantly want to do at least once in my life. I think it would be great right out of college to book a tour. I would be able to save up some money, get to do a show every night and get to see the country. The pay for a tour is less than a Broadway contract but we are spending less money on other things so it should balance out in the end. There are some major down sides though. I would not feel like a person having to live out of a suitcase for a year or two. You don’t get to see your family as much. And the big thing is you are not in New York. I feel like on tour you lose connections. With all that being I said I would love to do a tour or two in the beginning of my career. I feel like I would also learn so much about how theater can change based on location.