CMU School of Drama


Monday, February 22, 2016

The Full Monty

Pittsburgh in the Round: To all eager readers, yes you get a glimpse of naked men, but the surprising strength of The Full Monty isn’t in the stripping of clothes, but rather in the stripping of the pride and dignity of it’s unemployed and emasculated steelworkers. This blue collar group, lead by Nick Sacks as Jerry, carries the charisma of a faded high school football star, decides to regain their respect, money, and self-worth they will transform themselves into strippers for a one-night only event. I don’t know what it is about steel working and stripping that go so well together (I’m looking at you Jennifer Beals), but I’m not complaining.

2 comments:

Jake Poser said...

Overall, a great review, for a great production. Everyone I have spoken to was excited to see this show. It was exciting that Patrick Wilson came back to direct a show, and proved that our education follows us far after we graduate. From what I have heard, it proved to be a learning experience for everyone as it was Wilson's first time directing a show, EVER! He did a great job, though I feel in some scenes the "air" could have been sucked out to pick up the pace.
I loved the scenery, costumes, and lighting. The sound proved fun and lively. The automation was simple but helped to make the production flow. Watching from the side lines was cool. I loved watching the way different people approached this monster of a show. I also enjoyed that this was a grad production team. It showed me what I want to work towards. Challenge accepted.
I am excited to see the show again next weekend with my parents.

Vanessa Ramon said...

I think this review is pretty thorough in its analysis. I agree with Drew Proskovich, in that each character was greatly developed and the show really made you want to root for them. I think the show does a great job of showing the struggle of these men. Although the show is a comedy, moments in the play reveal the true emotions of insecurity and failure that comes with loosing a job and I think that because that feeling can still be universal, it makes the audience feel for these characters, even if they decided to fix their problems by taking their clothes off, not a common solution, but because the audience feels for them, there is no hesitation in whether or not to root the men on. I had never seen this show before and honestly didn't know what to expect from the story line or the music. In the end, I don't think that this musical is the best written musical I have ever seen, the songs were pretty silly and the story was a little flawed, but I think that the team did a great job of bringing the silliness to life and did created a charming show with what they were given.