CMU School of Drama


Monday, February 22, 2016

Lunar Gala 2016 is absolutely stunning

The Tartan Online: This past Friday, Feb. 13, Carnegie Mellon’s annual Lunar Gala was held in Wiegand Gymnasium. This year was the show’s 20th anniversary, so the hype was pretty grand. With separate teams for producing, modeling, designing, dancing, tech, and others, this event really showcases the incredible passion of Carnegie Mellon students who have spent much of last semester and January preparing for it. But I know that’s not why you’re reading this article. So without further adieu, let’s review the good, the bad, and the downright strange looks that graced LG’s 20th anniversary stage.

2 comments:

Jake Poser said...

I love that this article highlighted the special moments of the night, however, he couldn't be more wrong when commenting on certain people's fashion lines. Besides choosing the wrong collections to give accolades to, he was rude about the shows that he did not like. I think it is laughable that an instruction manual major is voicing his artistic opinion on these fashion lines. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, however, there is a tasteful way to offer your opinion, and this article did not do that.
GO BECKY AND MICHELLE!
My favorite line of the night was the PomPom collection, a line-up of knit-wear bikinis, and men's swim trunks. Everything was fun, and creative, and most importantly, fit well. If I could give one critique to Lunar Gala, it would be to focus on the production quality of some of their clothes, rather than the value of the overall production. Overall, it was an exciting event, and makes CMU special.

Megan Jones said...

Lunar Gala is such a unique event and I think that it's really cool that Carnegie Mellon supports it. The fact that people from all majors and disciplines participate allows for a great variety in the lines that are produced. Like Jake, I don't think that this reviewer took the right approach to his review. I think he was overly critical of things that didn't deserve any criticism, and praised some of lines I didn't like as much. I feel like most people, including the reviewer, don't realize just how much work goes into Lunar Gala. Michelle and Becky worked countless late nights to bring their collections to fruition, and I'm so proud of how amazing their final products turned out. The one thing that I would change about Lunar Gala is price, as it's more expensive than most other events on campus. I understand that they have to offset the price of the technical production, but I think that a lot people didn't go purely because it was so much more expensive than what they were used to.