CMU School of Drama


Thursday, February 25, 2016

Familiar 'Mister Rogers' Neighborhood' friends dropping by the Byham

TribLIVE: Old friends from the “Neighborhood” are coming home.

It's little wonder that tickets for the upcoming Pittsburgh performances of “Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood Live,” a show inspired by “Mister Rogers' Neighborhood” and produced by the Fred Rogers Co., have been selling quite well with limited ticket availability, according to Pittsburgh Cultural Trust spokeswoman Diana Roth.

After all, Pittsburgh is where it all began.

1 comment:

Lauren Miller said...

I grew up watching Mr. Roger's Neighborhood. It was one of my favorite shows. If you ask, I can probably even sing a tone-deaf rendition of "It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood". This show may even be the thing that sparked my now all-consuming puppet-problem/addiction (the first step is to admit you have a problem, right?). Even with my long history with dear old Mr. Rogers, I did not know that "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood" was based off the older show. I simply viewed Daniel as yet another children's show to flip past on the hunt for good Saturday morning television. Even though I prefer not to watch the shows myself, I am glad they exist. I don't believe that television should be the primary mode of entertainment or education for pre-school children, however I recognize that sometimes that ends up being the case. It's important that children learn life while exercising imagination. Shows can spark life-long interests (there are a few children's show running now that are trying to encourage girls to pursue STEM feilds), or teach lessons about the environment, or simply cover manners and life skills. Education is never a bad thing, and I'm happy that a show like Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood Live is doing well.