CMU School of Drama


Monday, January 25, 2016

*Milk Like Sugar* at Studio 201

The Tartan Online: Even the journey to Studio 201 seemed perfectly suited to the experience that was Milk Like Sugar, a play about an underprivileged 16-year-old girl who must decide whether to follow through on her friends’ pregnancy pact. When our Lyft dropped us off at a seemingly deserted warehouse, we were near positive the location was wrong and we’d been stranded God knows where. But thankfully, Carnegie Mellon is a master of signs. We followed a trail of logoed arrows, which circled almost 360 degrees around the building and finally arrived at an unassuming door marked “ENTER” in spray-painted letters. This one actually opened, and once inside, we were given our tickets and ushered into the largest, coolest freight elevator I’ve ever seen.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well at least we’ve found one person who likes or even trusts the elevators at the warehouse. I know I certainly don’t. I felt this review fell about where I would expect as far as a review for milk like sugar goes. The show didn’t really blow me away but I felt as though there were some really strong concepts on the design side that, with a little more budget and time could have really led to an extremely successful production. Of course there were parts of the production I felt were a little lacking, in particular the script felt a little forced at parts, Malik in particular being forced into a one dimensional role of needing to get out without any context beyond his desire to leave. Overall I enjoyed the production even if I would hesitate to call it a masterpiece it was entertaining and kept you guessing right up until the last moment how it would end.

Javier Galarza-Garcia said...

I feel like this review did a good job in describing the essence of the show from sensory perspective. Insight into the world of the play's conception wasn't very apparent, but the writer definitely did a great job in describing the warehouse and how different the environment is from a traditional space. The writer seemed to really enjoy the contemporary aspects of the show and how it was infused with modern pop images like Beyonce, Rihanna, and Nikki Minaj. I personally loved the story of the play as it was a story about adolescence and wanting a way to a better place and a better life. I think the actors did an incredible job in portraying the characters bringing the story to life and affecting the audience how they did.